A selection from printed sources
[ A ] : Abingdon, Adam, Adcock, Adlam, Aisquith, Alexander, Allen (2), Alston, Anderson (2), Andrews, Antoine, Applewhite, Armison, Armstrong, Atkinson
[ B ] : Bailes, Baker, Barham, Bartholomew, Baskerville, Bausman, Beadle, Becke, Belasyse, Bend, Bernard, Betts, Billinge, Birdsall, Black, Blackington, Bodger, Bond, Bosher, Botts, Bown, Boxer, Boyson, Braxton, Breck, Bridger, Briggs, Broadbent, Brock, Brown (2), Buchanan, Buckett, Buel
[ C ] : Caldwell, Cameron, Carpenter, Champion, Chapman (2), Charlton, Chauncy, Chew, Chewney, Christison, Clarke (3), Clay (2), Clow, Cochrane (2), Cohen, Constable, Convert, Conyers, Cook, Copland, Corbishley, Cotton, Coutes, Coutts, Cowan, Craig, Cran, Crease, Creer, Cross, Custis
[ D ] : Dale, Dangerfield, Daniels, Darling, Darnbrough, Davenport, Davis (3), Dean (2), Denby, Dewey, Digby, Dixon, Doidge, Dorm, Dunbar, Dunn (2), Durham, Dutton (2), Dyer
[ E ] : Easton, Edmonston, Egan, Ellery, Elliot(t), Englefield, Ensor, Evans (2)
[ F ] : Fallick, Farington, Farrell, Farren, Ferrill, Fisher, Fiske, Fitzgerald, Flint, Flippin, Flockton, Forbes, Foster, Fowler, Frank, Frazier, Freland, Frost, Furzer
[ G ] : Gallego, Gann, Gascoigne, Gatewood, Gawthmey, Gay, Gedge, Gerard, Gib, Gibbon, Gibson (2), Gilker, Girardin, Godfrey, Goff (2), Goldsmith, Goodwyn, Goodyer, Goyen, Graff, Graham, Graunt, Green, Greenhow, Greeves, Gregory, Griffin (2), Griffiths, Guifford, Gwathney
[ H ] : Hackston, Hackett, Hahn, Halliburton, Hamilton, Harper, Harris, Harvey, Harvie (2), Haselton, Hay (2), Haynes, Haywood, Heaps, Hedden, Hendrie, Her(r)on, Hessel, Hill (2), Hinde, Hiseland, Hitchcock, Hodge, Hodgson, Honeywood, Hooker, Hookes, Hooks, Horne, Howe, Howells, Hughes, Hulm, Hunt, Hunter (2)
[ I - J ] : Isnell, Ives, Jack, Jackson (3), Jacobs, Jannack, Jenkins, Jerrod, John, Johnson (4), Johnston, Johnstone, Jones, Jordan, Judah, Judson
[ K ] : Keerl, Keneston, King (2), Knapp
[ L ] : Lacroix, Laforest, Lambert, Larsen, Lawrance, Lea, Leake, Lecroix, Lee, Lesslie, Levien, Little, Littlepage, Livingston, Lorimer, Low, Lucas, Luttrell
[ M ] : Macdougal, Mackenzie, MacMahon, Macnemara, Magee, Mainwaring, Mann, Marks (2), Markunas, Marshall, Mason, Mathewson, Matthews, Mayo, M'Chain, McIsack, McKee, Mille, Miller (2), M'Kay, Molloy, Molony, Monk, Monson, Moody, Morgan, Morrissey, Morton, Moss, Mound, Mount
[ N ] : Neale, Neil, Neill, Nelson (2), Nicolls, Norris, Nowland, Nuttal
[ O ] : Ogden, Oliver, Orgen, Orse
[ P ] : Paddy, Page (2), Park, Partridge, Patison, Patterson (2), Pattison, Paul, Peirce, Pengree, Pepper, Philpots, Picket, Pickit, Pitman, Pitulloch, Plasket, Poole, Poticary, Powlett, Preston (2), Putland
[ R ] : Raphael, Reddie, Reynold, Rezi, Richards (2), Richardson, Ricketts, Roberts (3), Robertson, Rogers, Rolt, Rose (2), Rosewell, Routleigh, Rozier, Rudyerd, Russell, Rutter
[ S ] : Schockler, Schrub, Scot(t) (4), Scrope, Sewall, Sharpe, Sheafe, Sheldon, Sheppard, Simmons, Slater, Smith (6), Southgate, Spankie, Spicer, Spooner, Sprague, Spry, Stain, Stevenson, Stewart, Stocker, Stone, Stratton, Strong, Sturge, Swett, Symons
[ T ] : Tait, Tallakerne, Taylor (2), Thacher, Thackwray, Thetcher, Thomas, Thompson, Thorpe, Tipper, Tirwhitt, Tod, Tomlinson, Towell, Towers, Treen, Trollope, Trouin, Turar, Tute, Twinnoy
[ V ] : Valentine, Venable, Vernon, Vernor
[ W ] : Wade, Waldon, Walker (2), Wall, Wallis, Wanton, Waring, Watkins, Watson, Webb (3), Welch, Whitlock, Whitelooke, Wiley, Wilkins, Wilkinson, Williams (2), Williamson, Willoughby, Wilson, Wood, Woodruff, Woodward, Worme
- Andrews, William. Curious Epitaphs, second edition. William Andrews & Co., London, 1899.
- Cansick, Frederick Teague. A collection of curious and interesting epitaphs. J. R. Smith, London, 1869.
- Eaton, Arthur Wentworth. Funny Epitaphs. The Mutual Book Company, Boston, 1900.
- Fairley, William. Epitaphiana; or, The curiosities of churchyard literature. Samuel Tinsley, publisher; London, 1873.
- Howe, Walter Henry. "Here lies"; being a collection of ancient and modern, humorous and queer inscriptions from tombstones. The New Amsterdam book company, New York, 1901 (Published originally in London in 1891 under title: Everybody's book of epitaphs).
- Jervise, Andrew. Epitaphs & inscriptions from burial grounds & old buildings in the north-east of Scotland. Edinburgh, Edmonston and Douglas, 1875.
- Johnson, Samuel. Gleanings from God's acre: being a collection of epitaphs. Oliphant, Anderson, & Ferrier, Edinburgh, 1883.
- Kippax, John R. Churchyard literature : a choice collection of American epitaphs. S.C. Griggs Publisher, Chicago, 1877.
- Le Neve, John. Monumenta Anglicana. Printed by W. Bowyer, London, 1718.
- Maiben, Frederick. An original collection of extant epitaphs. Published by the author, London, 1870.
- Memoirs of the dead, and tomb's remembrancer. Baltimore, 1806.
- Norfolk, Horatio Edward. Gleanings in graveyards: a collection of curious epitaphs. J. R. Smith Publisher, London, 1866.
- Norton, John. Historical sketch of Copp's Hill burying ground, with inscriptions and quaint epitaphs. Seventeenth edition, Boston, 1921.
- Perkins, Frank Herman. Handbook of Old Burial Hill, Plymouth, Massachusetts : its history, its famous dead, and its quaint epitaphs. A.S. Burbank, Pilgrim Bookstore, Plymouth, Mass., 1902.
- Ravenshaw, Thomas FitzArthur. Antiente epitaphes (from A.D.1250 to A.D. 1800). Joseph Masters & Co., London, 1878.
- Roffe, Edwin. British monumental inscriptions : gathered occasionally, from divers churchyards. Privatly printed. London, 1859.
- Rogers, Charles. Monuments and monumental inscriptions in Scotland, 2 volumes. Published for the Grampian Club by C. Griffin, London, 1871.
- Safford, Susan Darling. Quaint Epitaphs. A.J. Ochs & Company, Boston, 1900.
- The New York Times archives (nytimes.com)
- Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (wikipedia.org)
- Find A Grave (findagrave.com)
Back to Main Page